Thursday 9 January 2014

Apo Killings: Teenage Boko Haram Suspect Describes Plans to Attack Abuja

A 16 year old Boko Haram suspect yesterday described how members of the group planned to attack Abuja last year.
Mohammed Adamu, originally from Katsina State, was arrested in Apo last September following the ambush of an uncompleted building in the area by security operatives, which led to the death of eight squatters. At a public hearing conducted by the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) investigating the killings, he described his meetings with other members and their plans to attack government buildings in defence of Islam.
The teenager, who spoke in Hausa and was aided by a translator, was a Keke NAPEP driver when he met a middle-aged man called Suleiman (also known as R Kelly ) who introduced him into the sect.
“Suleiman told me of a meeting they attended in the uncompleted building and asked me whether I was interested in joining them, but I told him to give me a day to think over it. A day after, I told him I was interested. Suleiman warned me not to tell anybody, threatening to deal with me if I did so. Because of that, I became afraid.
“At the meeting, we said we are defending our religion through war, using guns and other weapons. We wanted to fight with the government; we were holding discussions on ways to carry out the operation. We usually converged by 8pm and left by 11pm.” he said.
Adamu, who was the youngest in the group, said that one day Suleiman arrived with a bag full of AK47 rifles and a pistol. Later Adamu led police to the building in Apo where Suleiman and the other members were staying.
“While the security people approached the building, some people started shooting at us and I was instructed to lie down by the SSS official. Soldiers then returned fire. I saw Suleiman and the others digging out guns where they buried them in front of the building,” he said.
Adamu denied being forced to testify. He was arrested along with three others on September 18 2013 and was interviewed by police, who found the SIM card Suleiman had given him and told to only use after 8pm.
The Nigeria Army told the commission last month that the attack on the uncompleted building was informed by information it received from the DSS of a planned attack on Abuja by Boko Haram.
The hearing continues today.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment